Standing Invitation for Faculty Positions
Indian Institute of Technology Kharagpur, an Institute of national importance, is the first and largest in the chain of IITs engaged in teaching, research and development requires faculty for its various academic units. The Institute invites application from Indian nationals, Non Resident Indians (NRIs) and Persons of Indian Origin (PIOs) [*], possessing excellent academic background, commitment to top quality teaching and proven credentials for carrying out outstanding research and development for the following Departments / Centres / Schools:
[*] Foreign nationals (other than PIOs and NRIs) are also invited to apply for faculty position for fixed tenure not exceeding five years on contract basis.
- Aerospace Engineering
- Agricultural and Food Engineering
- Architecture and Regional Planning
- Chemical Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Computer Science and Engineering
- Electrical Engineering
- Electronics and Electrical Communication Engineering
- Geology and Geophysics
- Humanities and Social Sciences
- Industrial Industrial & Systems Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Metallurgical and Materials Engineering
- Mining Engineering
- Ocean Engineering and Naval Architecture
- Advanced Technology Development
- Educational Technology
- Oceans, Rivers, Atmosphere and Land Sciences
- Cryogenic Engineering
- Materials Science
- P.K. Sinha Centre for Bio-Energy
- Reliability Engineering
- Rubber Technology
- Rural Development.
- G.S.Sanyal School of Telecommunications
- Rajendra Mishra School of Engineering Entrepreneurship
- Rajiv Gandhi School of Intellectual Property Law
- Information Technology
- Ranbir & Chitra Gupta School of Infrastructure Design and Management
- Medical Science and Technology
- Water Resources
- Vinod Gupta School of Management.
ix) Bio Sciences
Ph. D. in any one of the following research areas:
Cellular Biology / Molecular Biology / Systems Biology / Biochemistry / Biophysics / Enzymology / Computational Biology / Immunology / Genetics / Developmental Biology / Microbiology / Bio-Engineering.
x) Energy Science & Engineering
Area of specialization:
- Fundamentals of Energy Sciences: Transport phenomena including heat and mass transfer, electrochemical phenomena, thermal and electrical aspects, Bio-processes, Deep ocean processes, Gas and Fluid Dynamics, Nuclear Energy.
- Energy Resources and Recovery: Traditional resources - Coal, Petroleum, Natural Gas; Others - Solar, Wind, Geothermal, Wave, Ocean-thermal, Biomass, Hydrogen; Integrated Energy Resource Systems - analysis, characterization, recovery, production, management, transportation; Clean Energy, Energy Planning and Modelling.
- Energy Systems: Energy Conversion Systems for Oil, Gas, Coal, Solar, Wind, Biomass, Nuclear, Hydrogen, Ocean Waves, Waste; Power Systems - Power generation, distribution, transmission, access; Transportation Power Systems- Electric, and Hybrid Systems; Portable Power Systems; Fuel Cells; Integration of green energy sources in existing grid; Embedded generation systems; Smart grids; Electrochemical systems; New age Fuel systems and process development; Hybrid and electrical systems; Battery & Super-capacitors; Energy systems for marine, space and difficult terrains, Energy System Modelling.
- Other Aspects of Energy Science & Engineering: Energy Materials; Energy Storage & Transportation; Energy Efficient Devices & Systems; Energy Efficient Design of equipment, buildings and appliances; Sustainable Energy; Conservation; Recycling and Management: Environment and Climate Change; Computational Aspects; Energy Economics; Energy by-product (particularly carbon) recycling, capture, sequestration and storage; Rural and small scale energy research.
Ph. D. in any branch of science or engineering with research experiences in any one of the following research areas:
Nanofabrication / Nanoelectronic and Photonic Devices / NEMS / Nanosensors. Bulk nanostructured materials for structural applications. Novel nanomaterials : Synthesis, self-assembly and applications. Nanostructured coatings for energy conversion/storage and surface engineering. Nano-biotechnology. Computational nanostructures.
xii) Environmental Science & Engineering.
Ph.D. in Environmental Science and Engineering. Prior degree should preferably be in engineering discipline.
- Associate Professor
- Assistant Professor
Ph.D. with first class or equivalent at the preceding degree in the appropriate branch with a very good academic record throughout.
ProfessorA minimum of 10 years teaching / research / industrial experience of which at least 4 years should be at the level of Associate Professor in IITs, IISc Bangalore, IIMs, NITIE Mumbai and IISERs or at an equivalent level in any such other Indian or foreign Institution(s) of comparable standards.
Associate ProfessorA minimum of 6 years teaching / research / industrial experience, of which at least 3 years should be at the level of Assistant Professor or equivalent positions in IITs, IISc Bangalore, IIMs, NITIE Mumbai and IISERs or in any such other Indian or foreign Institution(s) of comparable standards.
Assistant ProfessorAt least 3 years teaching / research / industrial experience, excluding however, the experience gained while pursuing Ph.D. Candidates with less than 3 years experience may be put on Tenure Track for the regular post of Assistant Professor.
Pay Band (PB) and Academic Grade Pay (AGP) for the Posts
|Associate Professor||PB-4: 37,400-67,000/-||9,500/-||42,800/-||1,07,800/-|
|Assistant Professor*||PB-3: 15,600-39,100/-||8,000/-||30,000/-||79,200/-|
|* Assistant Professors in IITs, IISc Bangalore, IIMs, NITIE Mumbai and IISERs on completion of 3 years of service shall move to Pay Band of Rs 37,400-67,000/- (PB-4) with an AGP of Rs 9,000/- and will, however, continue to be designated as Assistant Professor.|
ReservationWithout any compromise on qualification, experience and competence, reservation as per Government of India rules is applicable.
AccommodationSuitable residential accommodation as per rules will be provided in the Campus of the Institute on joining the Institute.
Academic reimbursements and other incentives
- Innovative Research Grant under the Institute Scheme for Innovative Research and Development (ISIRD) be provided to new faculty members upto a maximum of Rs 25 Lakh for equipment and infrastructure and an additional Rs 3 Lakh for consumables, contingency and travel. Additionally, a number of Research Challenge grants are available.
- A Cumulative Professional Development Allowance (CPDA) of Rs 3 Lakhs for every block period of 3 years (Rupees one lakh per year) may be made available to every member of the faculty on reimbursable basis to meet the expenses for participating in both national and international conferences, paying the membership fee of various professional bodies and contingent expenses.
- An additional amount of Rs 50,000/- is given to a faculty member for attending conferences abroad who is a Principal Investigator of a Sponsored Project amounting to at least Rs 15 Lakhs and has at least three Published Papers in referred journals in the preceding three years.
- Reimbursement of relocation charges within India / abroad of upto ` 90,000/- to the faculty members at the time of their joining.
- Interest free soft advance of Rs 50,000/- to the newly recruited faculty members.
- Honorarium of Rs 15,000/- per month to the faculty members who have been awarded the S. S. Bhatnagar Prize OR who are fellows of at least two National Academies.
- Transport Allowance and re-imbursement of Telephone bills upto Rs 1500 per month as per rules.
- Free local telephone facility in the Department as well as residences within the campus.
- Children Education Allowances (CEA) / LTC facility as per Government of India rules.
- Medical facility for self and other dependent family members in the B C Roy Technology Hospital within the campus and for referrals to Speciality Hospitals as per IIT Kharagpur rules.
- Minimum requirement of experience may be relaxed in respect of outstanding candidates.
- Degrees referred above should have been awarded by a recognized University / Institute.
- Mere eligibility will not vest any right on any candidate for being called for interview. The decision of the Institute in all matters will be final. No correspondence will be entertained from the candidates in connection with the process of selection / interview.
- The Institute reserves the right to call for interview only those candidates shortlisted on the basis of their qualification, experience, research and publication records and departmental requirements, interaction in the department, etc.
- The candidates should be preferably below 35 years of age for the post of Assistant Professor.
- The Institute reserves the right to fill or not to fill any or all the posts advertised.
- Persons employed in Government Organizations / Quasi Government Organizations should submit their application through proper channel.
- Travel support to the extend of Air fare (economy class) by the shortest route within India and Institute Guest House facilities free of charges in the campus to for candidates for appearing the interview for faculty position.
- Canvassing in any manner may entail disqualification of the candidature.
- Any dispute with regard to the selection / recruitment process will be subject to Courts / Tribunals having jurisdiction over Kolkata.
How to apply
Candidates possessing requisite qualification & experience are required to apply online (http://erp.iitkgp.ernet.in/FacultyCareer/homeFacultyCareer.jsp) and send a signed hardcopy print out of online application to Assistant Registrar, E-III, Indian Institute of Technology Kharagpur - 721302, WB, India. Unless the hardcopy is received, the application will not be considered.
For any other details please contact Assistant Registrar, E-III, Phone: 03222- 282135/282137, Fax: 03222-282020, Email: email@example.com / firstname.lastname@example.org
If any problem encountered with online application, please contact through phone: +91-3222-281017/18/19.
- The applications are considered by the respective Departments/Centres/Schools.
- Based upon the short-listing criteria, Professional experience, publications, in high impact factor journals, Sponsored research activities, area of research, recommendations of the Departments/Centres/Schools and feedback from reviewers etc, the applications are short-listed.
- The short-listed candidates are then called for Seminar presentation in the respective Department/Centre/School and appearing before a Selection Committee for interview.
- Short-listed candidates residing outside India may give the seminar as well interview through video-conferencing.
- If selected, an offer is sent to the candidate from the office of the Director/Registrar of the Institute.
- For all communications/enquiry regarding the candidate's suitability, availability of research facilities, teaching expected, laboratory space, etc. the concerned Head of the Department/Centre/School may be directly contacted by the candidate. Contact details are given on their respective webpage.
- If a candidate is called for interview and appears for interview at IIT Kharagpur, the Institute pays for the travel from within India only, as per institute norms.
Click Here to Apply Online